Thursday, May 26, 2011

Day 18: Sleep

Light
hits my eyelids,
spidery patterns crisscross my vision
the space behind my eyes illuminated by the morning sun.
Toes curled, back stretched, body reminded of itself as I crawl hands and knees out of bed.
I start each day with my body upright. Straightened, lengthened, standing tall.
My heart pointed to the sky, opened and drunk on the heat.
As the day continues, my left shoulder pulls toward my chest hiding my heart, protecting my soul.
My right shoulder folds over as well, leaving me hunched, head bent, dark shadows hallowing my eyes. My feet become heavy and my back aches with weights too large and too invisible.
I stumble, broken backed, beat, bruised, darkened, desperate, hanging by a thread,
to fall, face first, into the comfort of sleep...only to repeat the same tomorrow.


Note:
Today I worked 14 hours, and tonight I feel beaten. My feet hurt, my mind is numb, and I can't imagine my life being any different. I feel a fraud and too tired to tear myself apart to share my soul and work on my art. All excuses, fallacies, but true tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment