Friday, May 6, 2011

A Poem A Day For A Year: Day 1

Ok here is the deal. I have been writing poetry since I was around the age of 9 and had always dismissed it as just something to help me stay sane and work through my emotions. But as I have gotten older and begun to analyze my life in terms of "what I want to do for the rest of my life" the only thing that has legitimately come up is being a poet, being a writer. I know there are a lot of talented people out there and I have no illusions of getting famous or even making money off of writing, though that would be nice of course, more it is the commitment to not compromise what it is that I truly want to do with my life in the face of needing to succeed according to someone else's standards. So the challenge is this: I will write a poem once a day and post it here, regardless of how bad it is to get in to the practice of writing constantly. The issues are that most days I work 12-14 hours and often get home exhausted and spent. But this may be how life is if I have chosen the path of a writer...so I better get used to it.

Poem 1:

I feel I am a boiling pot
bubbling away, close to overflowing
with a boiling pot you must be careful of the hot water, but mostly you must be wary of the steam
The steam will burn you if you are too close and there is the possibility that suddenly,
with no apparent cause the water will burst forth and spray you in an angry blister inducing torrent that leaves one red, and sore.
This is my state, with no apparent cause I boil over, on whom ever happens to be standing next to me and I burn them.

But there is cause. That is the thing with boiling water, to get it to boil you must turn up the heat and contain the space by covering it with an air tight apparatus. This creates the perfect environment for explosion.
See it is the concealing, the covering that makes the environment possible.
It is the denial, and the self- righteousness that makes up this covering and the process then leads to an erupting, dangerous cataclysm of sadness, hurt, indignation, and lack of integrity.
The key to avoid this, is to not cover the pot, but to gently let it simmer, casting beautiful swirls of steam creating patterns in the air, only adding beauty to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment